Saturday, December 18, 2010

Monteverde Cloud Forest

The cloud forest reminded us a lot of the Oregon Coast, only warmer. We hiked about 5 hours through different zones of the forest. The biggest difference was the diversity. Each tree would be suppporting a multitude of species of plants. A sign by  one large tree said that it supported over 400 types of orchids, bromeliads, and epiphytes.
 When we reached the spot called "La Ventana" the window, where you are supposed to be able to see both the Carribbean and the Pacific, but all we saw were clouds. We did not see  many animals. Several coatis were patrolling the area around the park headquarters, obviously owning the area. We did glimpse a female quetzal in an avocado tree- but it was just a glimpse.
We walked a large 3k loop around the park and then a smaller 1k loop inside. Lots of photographs of plants and waterfalls and vines and bugs. I hope to be able to post some pictures soon.

Right now I am struggling with this computer. Firstly, it is set up in Spanish, secondly almost all the letters have been rubbed off the keyboard, really showing the lack of skill I have in touch typing, and finally the connection is really slow, so everytime I make a mistake I have to wait for the computer to catch up so that I can fix the errors and attempt to move on!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Guys, Sarah, thanks for blogging your vacation. It would be great if you began each blog with your location. I get the Monteverde location, but the arrival was in San Jose? Either that, or go back to Kansas. I am about to go into a watery pit that I dug to repair a crack in the foundation. It's cold, but sunny. I wish Bob were here to supervise. Feliz Navidad. Love, Uncle Lee

    ReplyDelete